Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Tate II Opens At Last




Fences and signs surrounding Tate II construction are inconvenient
for some students walking to class
Photos By: Jordan Stover

After months of enduring dusty, noisy construction and detours through the Miller Learning Center, students are finally going to be able to enjoy the newly built Tate II.

Tate II, an extension to the existing Tate Student Center, opens June 1, and students are excited about the prospect of using the new building.

“I’m thrilled that Tate II is going to be open for my senior year,” Amanda Fleming, an international affairs major from Woodstock, Ga., said. “I was afraid that I wouldn’t be around to actually use it after I dealt with the construction for over a year.”

Fleming is not the only student that is relieved to see the construction come to an end. Jessica Zubrod, a senior from Locust Grove, Ga., said that she was tired of avoiding the construction around the Miller Learning Center every day.

“The construction blocked my path to class, so I had to take detours through the MLC and up beside the Fine Arts building to get to class everyday,” Zubrod, a business management major, said. “It took me two or three minutes longer to get to class, which is a lot if you’re running late.”

Construction started two years ago on April 19, 2007 when the University broke ground on the $58.2 million project. The project started with the construction of the two-story, 500-space parking deck that is now connected to the new Tate.

Before the deck was constructed, students were limited to a small parking lot beside the existing Tate Student Center.

“The old parking lot outside of Tate was always full and I ended up having to park really far away to go to the MLC,” said Zubrod. “I’m really glad they built the new deck.”

Although Zubrod said that she is excited to see the construction end, she said that the thing she is most excited about is the new food court that will feature Barberito’s Southwestern Grille, Larry’s Giant Subs and Hotei’s, an Asian-themed restaurant.

Barberito’s, Larry’s, and Hotei’s are all popular restaurant chains in Athens that students are now going to be able to enjoy on campus.

“I think it’s a really good idea to give students who are not on the meal plan more choices for food,” Zubrod said. “It sounds like they’re going to have a good variety.”

While Tate II will not feature closed study rooms, it will have lounge-seating areas where students can study or relax. The University believes that these areas will help thin out the crowds at the MLC.

“I think that these seating areas will definitely help take some of the heat off of the MLC,” said Zoe Johnson at the Campus Life Office.

Overall, Zubrod and Fleming said that they cannot wait to use the new Tate II building next year.

“My only complaint is that I’ll only get to use it for one year before I graduate,” said Zubrod.




By: Jordan Stover
Edited By: Alex McKelvey

2 comments:

  1. Good quick post with a nice quote. You could flesh it out a little in the second graph by reporting some examples of "what the new facility has to offer."

    Use downstyle for the headline, and you don't need to say "brief" in parentheses. If you're going to come back with a full story later, tell your readers that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jordan, Alex:

    The story is fleshed out well in the full version. It flows smoothly with good quotes and transitions. A little more from the university guy who knows about the building might be nice.

    Good storytelling photo of the sign. Ideally, one of these pictures would show people making their way around the construction area.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.